MAD Freelanders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coolant

4 posters

Go down

coolant Empty coolant

Post by CordeliaEA Sat May 07, 2011 1:58 am

Hi everyone Help please my 2L Lseries diesel freelander boiled over whilst towing a caravan fan worked ok RAC could not find any fault continued on my journey, after 40 miles boiled over again then boiled over every 15 miles after, was told to change thermostat done so boiled over again but this time fan did not come in changed temp sensor still no fan, temp gauge showing normal all the time even though boiling waiting for temp gauge sensor. have noticed only top half the rad is hot top pipe hot bottom pipe cold. Help Tony.

CordeliaEA
Forum only

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

coolant Empty Re: coolant

Post by rcliffe Sat May 07, 2011 10:20 am

had sim prob with mine, coolant loss then boiling up, seems like the head gasket went forcing a leak as well, near the water pump, things like the heater pipes etc will be cool if theres insufficient coolant, the local friendly garage with the autologic laptop can check a few electrical bits for you?
rcliffe
rcliffe
Forum only

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-02-18

http://www.rjmotorcycles.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by rcliffe Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm

after many months of testing and topping up the coolant, think we have got it sorted, the car has lost all coolant, twice recently, once on a icy hill when it was very steep and realy struggled to get up and last week end on the Hardknott pass in the lakes while nearly at the top in first revving hard it went again, (luckily carry 2 gallons of coolant around with me now) bit help from a man in garage at seascale decided the fans weren`t switching on, he put me a switch on the dash so whilst theres not much cooling in the lanes and on the steep bits, i can keep it cool, flick the switch, the ecu is supposed to do this! probs like this you don`t need, may have caused the head gasket to go, the garage man has a same age freelander with 225k miles on the clock with very few probs and never had to replace the head gasket
rcliffe
rcliffe
Forum only

Back to top Go down

Post by landy_bug Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:54 am

but i bet he'd never been the places you have in yours rob!! Cool
landy_bug
landy_bug
Forum only

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by rcliffe Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 am

it stood up really well after the switch was fitted, very hard going in places, much use of the t/c :-0)
rcliffe
rcliffe
Forum only

Back to top Go down

Post by k9camel Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:08 am

sounds like you had a good time Rob
Have simular problems with camel, ended up getting a new radiator, which appears to have cured the problem
Have you flushed your radiator Tony, or back filling it from the bottom. if all else fails take it out & turn upside down while flushing it
only other option I used was to use the heater to draw excess heat by turning blower to full blast & setting temp to max, I found this prevented engine overheating, but did mean I had windows wide open to disapate heat in car

k9camel
Forum only

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by rcliffe Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:16 pm

i`ve even had a new rad but it still boiled dry, like i said, the fans never came on at all so with large amount of stick up hills and on very icy slopes in winter, it never got the cooling, i now have seperate switch fitted on dash so can turn the thing on anytime especially on the lanes, obviously? electric fault, the ecu is supposed to turn them on, one fan was stuck against the cowling.
rcliffe
rcliffe
Forum only

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: